Household Hazardous Waste

The City of Laramie accepts Household Hazardous Waste at the landfill by appointment only. We require 24 hours notice when making an appointment so we can have staff ready to serve you Monday - Friday between 9:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1 pm - 4 pm. 

Please call (307) 721-5279 for further information or to schedule your appointment.

Disposal is free for items such as:

  • Antifreeze
  • Lead Acid batteries / Rechargeable batteries
  • Flammables
  • Fuels
  • Fluorescent Light bulbs
  • Oil Based Paint
  • Pesticides and herbicides
  • Solvents
  • Toxins and poisons
  • Motor Oil / Gear Oil is not accepted at the Landfill. Motor Oil/Gear Oil may be taken to the City Streets Shop or to many of the automotive parts retailers in town.
  • Frying and Cooking Oil is not accepted at the Landfill. Free drop off for recycling of cooking oil can be found by using the "What goes where?" search bar above.

You can dispose of latex paint in the garbage if you dry it out first. Here’s how:

1. Add equal parts kitty litter to latex paint in the can (one part paint to one part kitty litter). If you have more than a half a can, you can also pour the paint into a lined cardboard box then pour in cat litter.

2. Stir the cat litter into the paint until it has an oatmeal-like consistency that will not spill out.

3. Allow the paint and cat litter mixture to sit until dry (about 1 hour).

4. Throw the dried paint can in your trash cart with the lid off.

Instead of cat litter, you can use a commercial paint hardener found at your local hardware stores. Follow the instructions on the label.

For very small amounts, you can paint on cardboard or newspaper and discard the can and newspaper/cardboard in the garbage when dry.

Related Resources

Non Residential Information

This program is for Albany County Residential "HOUSEHOLD" use only.  Hazardous waste from businesses, organizations and institutions are not accepted through this program or at the Laramie Landfill.  Contact the following companies for disposal options:

  • Clean Harbors, (303) 709-0720
  • Veolia North America, (720) 456-1186

Contact Us

If you have questions about how to dispose of household hazardous waste, please contact any of the local agencies listed below.

  • Albany County Road and Bridge - (307) 742-2534
  • Albany County Weed and Pest - (307) 742-4469
  • City of Laramie Solid Waste Division - (307) 721-5279