Parks & Recreation
Weekly Rec Center Covid-19 Update
Outdoor Pools Tentatively Scheduled to Open June 8.
Months ago, way before Covid 19 was even a thought we had planned to open the outdoor pools on the 1st of June--obviously things have changed a little, but we are still planning to open and have a great time in the outdoor pools! Stay tuned for details about how we will stay safe and enjoy the summer in the pool.
The Recreation Center is now Open!
We are pleased to report that the Recreation Center re-opened on the 18th of May. Please see the following details about using the facility.
General Facility Use
- Members—Equipment and various areas (gym, cardio, weight room, track, and pool) are available for reservation by members. Please just call us at 721-5269, Option 7 to reserve the equipment or space you wish to use. You may reserve equipment a day in advance. Please leave a message as appropriate.
- Non-Members—Additionally, we welcome non-members to drop in and use equipment and facilities that are not already in use. Regular day-use fees apply and memberships will be available to purchase for interested parties.
Equipment and Area Reservations
When we first reopen it will be for lap swim and “water-walking” in the lazy river only as specified in the Public Health Order. We hope to offer general pool use to small groups at some time in June and we are working on a Swim Lesson protocol that will incorporate appropriate social distancing measures for the summer. Please remember that locker rooms will not be available for regular use, only toilet and sink facilities will be open for the public. Please come dressed for your activity.
Facility and Equipment Sanitation
In order to provide the safest environment equipment will be sanitized between use and available to check out. Please be advised that we will be offering basketball hoops on the East Court for general use, but not games where balls are shared and the West Court will be set up for singles pickleball play.
A selection of fitness classes will be available virtually to members. Please check out the schedule with a link to log in at www.cityoflaramie.org/fitness. If you are interested, a membership will gain you access to all posted classes at no additional charge. Non-members will be able to participate at the drop in rate. Please call us at 721-5269 Option 7 or sign up on-line.
In order to accomplish appropriate social distancing measures and limit risk to both staff and patrons alike we are following detailed plans. Here is what you should expect when we reopen.
- Open Hours—We will be open from 7am-7pm M-F and 8am-5pm on Saturday. We will be closed on Sundays. Pools open a half hour later and close a half hour earlier than the rest of the facility.
- Face Coverings in the Facility--All facility users will be required to wear face coverings unless you are swimming. Please be advised that this can affect your oxygen level and you may not be able to work out as vigorously as your body adapts. Information about working out while wearing a mask is available on the internet and we encourage you to discuss this with your physician if it causes you concern. You’ll find some information here https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-safely-exercise-with-a-face-mask-on-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/ that may be useful.
- Temperature Check—We will have a person stationed at the front door to do a quick, no-touch temperature check when you arrive. If you have a fever above the CDC recommendation of 100.4 degrees you will not be permitted entrance.
- Facility Reservation Required—We are in the process of setting up a facility reservation process so that you can ensure that the equipment or area of the facility you wish to use will be available to you when you arrive.
- Locker Rooms Unavailable—pursuant to the State Health Order only restrooms will be available. Please come dressed for your activity.
- Children under age 16 must be accompanied by an adult—We still welcome families and your children, but with additional supervision. Thank you for your understanding.
As restrictions relax we will modify our restrictions, so please anticipate changing requirements. Thank you for your understanding as we work through these changing circumstances.
Membership Billing Plan:
For the month of May, we are continuing our suspension of billing and extension of membership dates as we did in April. See below for details.
- For members who pay for their membership monthly, we will be suspending billing for April and May. The term of membership will remain the same, but any months remaining will be delayed until we reopen. For instance, for an annual membership we will suspend for a month, and the membership commitment would be complete after thirteen months and set to renew.
- For members who paid in full, we plan to extend memberships to make up for the time we are closed. This will move membership expiration date out later than originally scheduled.
For members who find this an acceptable plan there is no need to do anything. We will make the adjustment on our end. If members prefer to make other arrangements contact us at email@example.com and we will assist on a case by case basis.
Some members have expressed concern about the revenue that will be lost to the Recreation Center due to this extended closure and have requested that their account continue to be billed as normal. For those who wish to do so, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org. We certainly appreciate the continued support as we all work through this uncertain time!
Summer Program Guide:
Our regular summer program guide will be all online this summer! Registration is open for summer activities. State restrictions could cause changes to our anticipated activities and we will contact participants if it becomes necessary.
No Annual Closure Required this Year!
We have made good use of our time while we have been closed and have performed annual maintenance that would normally occur in August. So when you return, the facility will be all spiffed up and ready to go. Staff are sanitizing and cleaning the facility from top to bottom so you will be able to return with full confidence.