Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
RESIDENTIAL MOSQUITO FOGGING TO BEGIN
Laramie, Wyoming –
Surveillance indicates that thresholds have been reached to begin fogging operations to control nuisance mosquitoes. Applications will commence on Monday evening June 4th, weather permitting. Applications will normally take place between the hours of 9pm and 4am, Sunday through Thursday. Presently no cases of West Nile virus (WNv) have been confirmed in Albany County and the City of Laramie currently rates the risk of infection at level 1 (Low Risk). This risk assessment is based on low numbers of vector mosquitoes and no reported WNv activity in birds or mosquitoes.
Mosquito control fogging crews will be applying Zenivex E4 in residential areas, Parks, Recreation areas, and on the Laramie River Greenbelt Trail. Zenivex E4 contains a solution of 4% of the active ingredient Etofenprox with the remaining 96% being an oil based carrier. Zenivex E4 is applied at the Ultra-Low Volume of 1.3 ounces per acre. Etofenprox is a reduced risk non-ester permethrin formulation which requires no synergist.
Meteorological conditions must be in an acceptable range to allow the application of the product. Wind speeds must be above 1 mph and below 10 mph and temperatures must be above 50 F and below 90 F to meet the label requirements. Applications will not begin, and will be suspended when conditions are not in the required range. Suspended applications will normally resume if conditions improve during the same shift or on the following shift once conditions meet requirements.
The fogger is powered by a small gasoline engine, which constantly moves a volume of compressed air through the fogger head. The flow of chemical is controlled by the operator from within the cab. During the application of chemical the engine will run at high RPM and a fog cloud will be plainly visible. When chemical is not being applied, the engine will continue to run at a low idle RPM. Fogging trucks will operate with a continuous amber strobe light on the cab as a caution device for motorists and pedestrians.
Mosquito control application schedules are available daily on the Mosquito Control and Integrated Pest Management Hotline at 721-5056. The Hotline is updated daily at 4pm and lists any chemical application made by City of Laramie Parks Division crews. HOTLINE information is also available on the City of Laramie Web Page. Look for the Hotline tab at the center left of the home page. For further information contact Tyler Shevling, Mosquito Control Crew Supervisor at 721-5258 or Scott Hunter, Parks Manager at 721-5257.