Open Container Permits in Parks

Requirements & Regulations

Open Container Permit refers to a permit as required by Laramie Municipal Code Chapter 5.09.360 for the consumption of alcoholic beverages at a special event in or upon a street, alley, sidewalk, public building, public park, or parking lot open to unrestricted use by the public. Open Container Permits are needed when there is a private event where alcohol will be served. If alcohol will be sold, a Catering or Malt Beverage Permit will be required. Catering or Malt Beverage Permits are issued through the office of the Office of the City Clerk or via the online application process found here. The City Clerk's office is located at City Hall (406 Ivinson Ave.). The city clerk may be reached at (307) 721-5220.

Insurance Coverage

If an Open Container Permit is requested by the applicant, Laramie Municipal Code, Chapter 12.60 requires that the applicant and authorized officer of the sponsoring organization (if any) possess or obtain public liability insurance and/or liquor liability endorsement to protect against loss from liability imposed by law for damages on account of bodily injury and property damage arising from the event.

Insurance coverage is required as a condition of an event, and Parks and Recreation staff shall determine the amount of insurance required, with a minimum of $500,000 in public liability insurance for reservations or events that include the consumption of alcoholic beverages that are not open to the public (invited guests only) with less than 50 participants, based upon the considerations routinely taken into account by the City in evaluating loss exposures (including, but not limited to, whether the event poses a substantial risk of damage or injury due to the anticipated number of participants, the nature of the event and activities involved, and the physical characteristics of the proposed site). If the event or reservation that includes the consumption of alcoholic beverages and is open to the public with more than 50 participants, the minimum public liability insurance required is $1 million per occurrence, $2 million aggregate. Such insurance shall name on the policy or by endorsement as additional insured, the City, its officers, employees, and agents.

Filing Deadlines

A certificate of insurance coverage must be filed with the Parks and Recreation Department no less than five days before the date of the event unless a Parks and Recreation staff member or designee changes the filing deadline, in which event such documents shall be provided prior to the event.

Related Resources

Contact Us

If you have any questions regarding the temporary relief noise permit guidelines, please contact the Recreation Center Front Desk at (307) 721-5269.